The Big Event - Kitchen Remodel
You may have been putting off getting your kitchen remodeled and understandably so. We use our kitchen on a daily basis and the thought of being without use of it for a few months may cause some anxiety, especially if you love to cook. However, if your kitchen is retro, but not in a good way, you are sick and tired of looking at it and you are ready for an update.
Since you now have finally decided it's time for the big kitchen remodel, now you have some decisions to make. What types of cabinets and countertops do you want? You will find that there are tons to choose from and it may get a little overwhelming. There are some things you should consider when choosing what to go with and you can start narrowing things down when you make a list of features you want.
Style: What type of look do you want? Are you into the more modern look and want clean, crisp white or sleek, shiny black? Or do you like more of a cozy, wood feel in your home? Once you narrow that down, then you can decide what style of cabinets you like. Do you want glass doors so you can see your beautiful dishes and glasses or would you prefer them all covered? The door handles or pulls can be a fun purchase to make. There are literally thousands to choose from. You can go with something conservative or even something whimsy. Whatever fits your personality, they have it.
Once you have decided on your cabinets, now it's time to decide on countertops. There is an incredibly large selection in styles and textures, prices, and durability available, not to mention colors, and this can get a little bit stressful. You must do your research on what fits best for you and what your budget allows. We have broken down a list of some of the types available.
1. Granite: This is still considered the top choice of most homeowners across the board. Granite countertops are available in many different colors and natural pattern variations and offer a high-end look and provide a durable prep surface at the same time.
2. Laminate: This is still far the most budget-friendly option. There are many new patterns to laminate countertops and they are becoming popular again with the variety they offer in resembling natural stone, wood or even quartz. They are offered in a variety of colors also.
3. Wood: Again, if you are looking for a warm, cozy kitchen then wood may be the way to go. The butcher-block style of countertops has gained popularity and it is both decorative and functional. When properly sealed, wood countertops can keep their great look for a long time and also they can be used for chopping meat and food preparation surfaces. Wood countertops are also less expensive than other choices and if that is important to you then wood may be the way to go.
4. Quartz: Many people do not think of quartz countertops, but they offer quite a bit of interesting things. Engineered quartz countertops are practically maintenance free. They are stain resistant along with scratch, heat and impact resistant. They have a non-porous surface and you do not have to worry about sealing them like natural stone countertops. They are available in a variety of colors and patterns also.
5. Marble: Marble has gained popularity in the last few years and for many good reasons. Marble is very sleek and can give a kitchen a very sophisticated look. The cost of marble countertops is comparable to granite; however, marble requires regular sealing and special care, so that may be something you want to consider before purchasing marble countertops.
6. Soapstone: Another popular countertop is soapstone. Soapstone countertops are stain and bacteria resistant and they come in a range of gray tones from light to dark. They have subtle veining which adds to their texture.
As you can see, there is a variety of cabinets and countertops to choose from when remodeling your kitchen. Only you know what style you like and what color scheme you want to go with. Any of these choices we have listed above will work great. Once your kitchen remodel is completed you will have a beautiful place to enjoy your love of cooking and the "heart of the home" will be a place everyone enjoys even more.